The Moore Street level crossing, situated between Pier and Moore streets in Perth, around 100m southwest of McIver Station, will be permanently closed from the morning of Tuesday October 1, 2019. The pedestrian level crossing on the western side of Moore Street will also close, while the eastern pedestrian level crossing, which provides access to McIver Station platforms 2 and 3, will remain open.
The high-risk level crossing, which crosses both the Midland and Armadale lines, has been identified as a priority for closure by the PTA due to ongoing safety concerns and a marked increase in operational closures over the past 18 months.
Currently, the Moore Street level crossing is closed for more than 30 minutes of each hour during peak travel periods. The crossing is also closed during, and for a minimum of an hour before and after all events at Optus Stadium. Future services operating on the Forrestfield-Airport Link, and later, the Morley-Ellenbrook Line, would see the crossing closed for the entirety of peak travel periods.
The project will include:
- Installation of temporary fencing and water barriers to close the Moore Street (vehicle) level crossing and western pedestrian level crossing on the morning of Tuesday October 1
- Removal of crossing infrastructure including boom gates and lights
- Installation of permanent fencing around the level crossing with access gates for PTA maintenance vehicles
- Reconfiguration of Pier and Moore streets to create cul-de-sacs on the approach to the crossing
- Kerbing work at the intersection of Pier and James streets to encourage vehicles to turn before reaching the end of Pier Street
- Minor realignment of the Pier Street Principal Shared Path to accommodate the road changes
While the Moore Street level crossing will be permanently closed from the morning of October 1, 2019, design of the final road configuration is still underway, with construction expected to begin in 2020.
For more information about the project read the Moore Street level crossing closure fact sheet.
Moore Street level crossing closure fact sheet