To address future rail network needs the PTA is building a rail freight facility at Kenwick adjoining the Midland to Kwinana/Fremantle freight railway.
The facility will require approximately 17ha of land and is proposed to include:
- A flashbutt rail welding area
- Storage areas for short rail and long welded rail
- Ballast loading tracks and stockpiles
- Stowage tracks for rail grinding and track surfacing machines
- A rail handling area
- Administration, training and material storage facilities
- Connection to the existing rail freight network
The operation of the facility will be the responsibility of the rail freight network operator, with PTA acting as the landowner on behalf of the State Government.
Tender for early works released: Late 2016
Early works contract award and construction begins: Early 2017
Main contract tender released: First Half 2017
Main contract award and contstruction begins: Mid 2017
Facility handover to rail freight operator: Mid 2018
Stay informed on project progress by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or registering for project updates.