Work has begun on the construction of new stops on William Street, between Hay and Murray streets.
The work will consolidate north and southbound bus movement along William Street, including the transfers of northbound buses (with the exception of the CAT buses) from Barrack Street onto William Street, eventually creating a ‘transit mall’ between Hay and Murray streets.
In order to implement these improvements, it will be necessary to make changes on William Street.
To ensure that the streets remain accessible and bus services maintained during construction, it is proposed that the works be undertaken in three stages:
Stage 1 - Completed March 2014
Measures to assist buses travelling northbound on William Street:
- Creation of a left turn lane at the intersection of William Street and Hay Street for northbound traffic to separate left turn and ahead movements
- Creation of four bus stops on the western side of William Street. This will require the conversion of an existing parking and loading bay on the western side between Hay and Murray streets to a bus stop
There were also some bus route changes to facilitate the relocation of a number of bus stops from Barrack Street to William Street.
Stage 2 – Completed July 2015
Stage 2 work included:
- Building a left turn lane from William to Hay Street which will aid in congestion
- Moving the traffic signals at the William and Hay Street intersection to accommodate the new left turn lane
- Building a fourth bus bay on William Street
The PTA is in discussions with the City of Perth regarding Stage 3 of William Street bus-only lanes. Stage 3 would see William Street (between Murray and Hay streets only) become an exclusive pedestrian/cycle/bus/taxi zone. General traffic would not be able to enter this section of the street.
Read the William Street bus-only fact sheet.
For more information about the works email firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit Transperth’s Journey Planner at www.transperth.wa.gov.au or phone 13 62 13 to plan your journey.